8 ways to save the planet this spring
On March 6th, 7th and 8th as part of our Urban Eden campaign, Veolia UK - which oversees campus recycling - will be hosting a series of pop ups giving the lowdown on how we can all look after the planet that bit better.
Here are 8 reasons why we should all go green this spring.
- Buy a reusable water bottle: 2.5 million plastic beverage bottles are thrown away every hour in the UK - if you lined them up it would be the distance of Paddington Central to Antwerp.
- Recycle that can: If all drink cans were recycled in the UK we would need 14 million fewer dustbins.
- Embrace the office paper bin: If everyone in Britain recycled just 10% extra paper it would save approximately 5 million trees each year.
- Get your five a day: We throw away 1.6 million untouched bananas every day.
- Choose your bin wisely: On average every person in the UK throws away their own body weight in rubbish every 7 weeks. In less than 2 hours, the UK could fill the Albert Hall with its waste.
- Plastic fantastic: Most households throw away at least 40kg of plastic each year, which is enough to make 10 recycle bins.
- Having a wine? 5 out of every 6 glass bottles are thrown away.
- Bring your batteries to work day (or buy rechargeable): each year, 600 million batteries are thrown away.
Photos: Lacey Williams, Mike Dorner