Pride may be Staying In this year but that doesn't stop our communities coming together (at a distance) to celebrate all things LGBT+, whilst continuing to raise awareness and fight for better equality and diversity within the workplace and at home.
Below we have listed an array of activites and events from our Community Partners, Retailers and Networks that you can get involved with during Pride.
Just Like Us: Proud at Home
Growing up LGBT+ is still unacceptably tough, which is why British Land and Paddington Central are honoured to sponsor Just Like Us , an LBGT+ charity whose mission is to emower young people to be role models championing LGBT+ equality at school and work.
With many LGBT+ young people facing further isolation from their friends due to the ongoing lockdown and school closures, Just Like Us have lanched Proud at Home, a series of online events and activities.
We're also sponsoring Schools Diversity Week which takes place from June 22 - 26. During Schools Diversity week, Primary & Secondary Schools across the UK celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trans equality in education.
Move for Just Like Us
The British Land Alliance and our Community Partners have also been set the challenge to collectively walk, cycle, run, dance or crawl (for our mini teammates) 1,972km in July to raise funds for Just Like Us. This is to mark the year 1972, the Stonewall Riots and the origin of the LGBT+ Pride marches.
If you would like to make a donation you can do so here
Support for the LGBT+ Community during lockdown
Coronavirus is impacting everyone within our communities, placing strain on our physical and mental wellbeing, but the LGBT+ community is facing additional barriers.
Social distancing not only forces partners to be apart but can also make you feel disjointed from the LGBT+ community. It's also important to recognise that staying at home and spending more time with your family is not easy for everyone, especially when families don't accept you for who you are.
With this in mind, we wanted to share a list of LGBT+ resources and supportive ideas below which we encourage you to use and share with your LGBT+ friends, family and colleagues.
Stay in touch with your support system
It's important to stay in contact with people who support you outside of your home - keep in touch with your friends and loved ones, considering social distance guidelines or using video calls.
Joining an online LGBT+ group can add to your support system.
Here are a few options:
- Stonewall - has compiled a list of QTIPOC Organisations: Click here to find out more
- Mindout: is an online support charity for LGBT+ people facing mental health issues: Click here to find out more
- Terrence Higgins Trust: is the leading HIV charity in the UK and they have produced Coronavirus advice for people living with HIV: Click here to find out more
- Regard: is a national charity for LGBT+ people with disabilities: Click here to find out more
- Live Trough Tthis: support LGBT+ people living with Cancer and have online peer support services: Click here to find out more
- Covid-19 Mutual Aid UK: is a network of local mutual aid groups supporting communities to look out for one another. Several areas including London have LGBT+ specific Mutual Aid groups. Queercare also have a form to connect vulnerable LGBT+ people with support getting food and medicine at this time: Click here to find out more
- Albert Kennedy Trust supports LGBTQ+ people aged 16-25 who are facing or experiencing homelessness or living in a hostile environment: Click here to find out more
- Galop: the LGBT+ anti-violence charity have put together a pack to support transgender people: Click here to find out more